At Glen Eira College students participate in a range of musical and performance opportunities that provide them with a variety of skills that contribute to their overall personal development. The benefits to students are evident in the energetic and confident students here at our college. By engaging in the arts our students nurture the development of cognitive, social and personal competencies.
Instrumental Music Program
The Instrumental Music Program at Glen Eira College provides students a choice of the following instruments:
- Woodwind – saxophone, clarinet, flute
- Brass – trumpet, trombone, tuba
- Percussion & drumkit
- Guitar – acoustic and electric
- Bass Guitar
- Strings – violin, viola & cello
All instrumental students participate in ensembles that rehearse at lunchtime or after school. Being part of a musical ensemble develops student’s time management, organisational skills, perseverance, coordination, responsibility, concentration and team skills. Students also improve their listening and social skills performing in these groups.
Ensembles at Glen Eira College include:
- School Band – Monday after school
- Choir – Friday lunch time
- Saxophone Ensemble – Monday lunchtime
- String Ensemble -Tuesday afterschool
- Acapella Singing Group – Thursday lunchtime
- Flute Ensemble – Monday lunchtime
- Guitar Ensemble – Wednesday lunchtime
Many performance opportunities are created for students each year. Last year students have again joined with other regional schools for the annual Singfest singing in four part harmony and Stringfest. Students sang in the Mass Choir for the Victorian Schools Spectacular at Hisense Arena and for the first time we also had students in the technical team playing important roles in putting the wonderful together. Students also perform at the Relay for Life event.