English Language Centre
The Glen Eira English Language Centre provides an introduction to education in Australia for newly arrived and international secondary students from language backgrounds other than English.
Courses at the Language Centre enable students to achieve an enhanced level of success in mainstream schooling through exposure to the Australian education system and school life. Further, the centre facilitates awareness of Australian culture and customs in a supportive environment.
The Glen Eira English Language Centre provides intensive English language tuition in the context of a mainstream school curriculum so that students gain effective control of the language of subject learning areas.
The Glen Eira English Language Centre caters for secondary aged new arrivals, international students intending to study in State schools and students requiring short term English language instruction. On completion of the language program students are assisted in their transition to mainstream schooling.
The Glen Eira English Language Centre has a strong focus on the wellbeing of its students providing assistance in a number of areas. These include applications for educational support, medical assistance from visiting nurses and access to dental services, transport arrangements, accommodation, counselling and acquisition of school uniform and books. Community links are encouraged to familiarize families with their new environment.
Multicultural educational aides assist families in understanding written information and school reports. Interpreter services are provided at parent-teacher interviews or as needed.
Key features of the program are:
- Specialist English language tuition
- Small class sizes
- Studies in the areas of Mathematics, Science, Humanities and Technologies
- Student placement according to age and English language skills
- Access to computer technology in classrooms and resource centre
- Joint activities with the host college including sport, assemblies, concerts and performances and multicultural activities
- Support from Multicultural Teachers Aides
- Weekly electives and sporting events
- Extensive tours and excursions program including Zoos, National Parks, City exploration and local area
- Outdoor adventure camp program with 1 camp per semester
- Transition support to help students and families enter new schools or explore other educational pathways
Enrolment is open to any student intending to study at secondary level, students are usually between 12 and 18 years of age. Students stay a minimum of two terms.
Please contact the ELC to make an appointment to visit the ELC or enroll.
Please phone: (03) 9572 5877