We are immensely proud of the achievements of our 2017 VCE students who have again demonstrated our focus on maintaining the consistently productive and cooperative learning environment at our school.
Emphasis is placed on student success through provision of a comprehensive curriculum, a broad range of elective studies and extensive VCE offerings. Challenging enrichment and enhancement programs, together with opportunities for personal development and leadership training cater for a variety of individual needs and enable students to develop social and intellectual strengths. University enhancement programs, acceleration and access to extension studies ensure specialist student talents are enriched and nurtured in an environment of encouragement, motivation and celebration. Glen Eira College recognises the need for provision of both academic and vocational education. In their senior years students have access to Vocational Education and Training (VET) Programs, which enable them to gain credits toward subsequent diploma courses. A tradition of excellent VCE results ensures all graduates progress to the university and TAFE courses of their choice.
Our languages program go from strength to strength – Hebrew, French, French First Language, French Immersion, Japanese and Japanese Immersion programs continuing to gain in number.
Glen Eira College is committed to providing a safe, secure and stimulating learning environments in in which our students can reach their full educational potential in a positive school culture to engage and support them in their learning. Student wellbeing and student learning outcomes are inextricably linked, and schools should aim to promote an understanding of this link in both the school environment and in the classroom.
Glen Eira College is proud of its place in the global community with students representing over 50 ethnic groups. Intensive English Language tuition is provided at the Glen Eira English Centre and through the mainstream English as a Second Language program. International connections are encouraged through the use of electronic communications, global initiatives and overseas tours. French, Hebrew and Japanese are taught at the college.
Glen Eira College strongly encourages parent participation in college life in the belief that the partnership between parents, students and teachers is vital to student success. Regular contact is maintained with the home regarding student progress and families are encouraged to participate in the life of the college. Our Parents & Friends Association continues to grow and we are delighted with the support they provide to our community.
Semester 1 Highlights
There will be many opportunities for our students, staff and parents to involve themselves in a broad range of activities at the college.
- Year 7 and 8 and 9 camps
- The swimming sports.
- Cross Country Run
- Cultural Diversity Week, Harmony Day and Francophonie week with students and staff wearing national dress or orange – the colour of Harmony Day, making crepes, playing petanque and Chinese games, learning a Hebrew or Bollywood dance, entering photography competitions and eating delicious French cakes.
- ‘Singfest’ and ‘Stringfest’ – DET music programs
- The interschool sports days will see students representing the college in a range of team sports
- The Year 7 Family Supper Evening is a wonderful opportunity for parents to meet informally with our staff.
- International Women’s Day Activities.
- Student leaders will attend a range of events.
- Funky Hair Day activities will raise moneyfor the Leukaemia Foundation.
- Pi day celebrations will showcase our students’ maths abilities
These are just some of the highlights. As you can see there are many opportunities to get involved at GEC.
Please keep your eye on the website as we work together to build and continuously improve our school – Glen Eira College.